19 Mar
  • By admin
  • Cause in

New poll shows QLD voters are opposed to permissive abortion laws

MEDIA RELEASE – 16 March, 2018

With the State Labor Government set to introduce a bill to remove all laws on abortion from the Criminal Code, which would mean that abortion would be legal until birth for any reason, a new independent opinion poll, that shows that a majority of Queensland voters either want the law to stay the same or want it be stricter, should cause it to reconsider.

Conducted by independent market research firm YouGovGalaxy for the Australian Family Association (AFA) and Abortion Rethink, this online survey of a representative sample of 1,001 Queensland voters taken last month (6-8 February 2018) shows that 36% of voters believe the law is “about right” and 19% want it be stricter – a total of 55% – with a minority of only 26% wanting it to be more permissive.

There is substantial public support for restrictions such as a time limit of 13 weeks of pregnancy (60% approval), safeguards for women such as independent counselling (90%), informed consent (86%), cooling-off period (80%) and parental consent (67%), and conscientious objection protection for doctors and nurses (65%).

At election time, the research indicates there could be an average potential swing of 7% against members of Parliament if they vote in favour of full decriminalisation of abortion (32% swing against versus 18% swing towards, with 50% neutral).

Copies of the poll results are being sent to each member of the Queensland Parliament.

Some other key findings included:

  • Queensland voters are quite cautious about abortion and worried about its negative effects. More than three-quarters (76%) of Queensland voters believe that abortion can harm the mental and/or physical health of a woman.
  • 26% of Queenslanders personally know at least one woman who has been pressured into having an abortion
  • 73% of voters are opposed to abortion after 23 weeks, with only 5% support for abortion up to birth.
  • 85% of voters are opposed to sex-selective abortion, with only 6% in favour.

AFA spokesman Angela Duff said: “With specific, objectively-worded questions, this comprehensive research has avoided skimming the surface of the issue as most past polls have done and has drilled down to find out what the Queensland public really believes.”

MEDIA ENQUIRES: Angela Duff | [email protected]

 

admin